Thursday, January 31, 2013

Chocolate. Olive oil. Cake. Yes, I just went there!

Well, this one really blew my mind. I was shocked at how amazingly delicious it tasted. The name sounds gross, right?
The original recipe I tried was the one I got from Ciao Italia! That is also the one I will post here. (The reason I have not changed anything in this recipe, as I would normally do is: its perfect the way it is!)


 
Of course I had to decorate it ridiculously... it's how I practice!
With this recipe I am NOT going to include the icing recipe. I will post it separately, as it is a process all on it's own!
 
 
Ingredients:
 
3 c. flour
2 c. sugar
6 Tbsp. cocoa
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. olive oil
2 Tbsp. vinegar
1 Tbsp. vanilla
2 c. cold water
 
(I use all-purpose flour, white sugar, cocoa powder, any kind of olive oil, white vinegar, vanilla flavoring- nothing expensive, nothing fancy!)
 
What to do:
 
1.) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
 
 
2.) Lightly grease 2- 9" round cake pans. (I used butter flavored cooking spray.)
3.) Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. (I used a whisk for this, because I like the way it breaks up any clumps and mixes everything together.)
 
 
 
 
4.) With a hand mixer, on low, beat in oil, vinegar, vanilla & water until smooth.
 


 
5.) Pour into the prepared pans.
 
 
6.) Bake 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. (This is the most difficult part: timing. The original recipe called for 25 minutes, but it took 45 in my oven. So, make sure you just check and see how fast its baking in your oven.)
 
 
 
7.) Cool in the pan 15-20 minutes before removing from pans to completely cool.
 
 
 
 To see icing recipe, go to: Powdered Sugar Free Vanilla Frosting!
 
 
Once the cakes are COMPLETELY cooled, you are ready to start the frosting process.
 
8.) At this point, your cakes should be out of the pans. If they are not, then you need to get them out. Put your bottom cake on a serving platter or tray. Whatever you have chosen to hold your completed cake.
 
 
9.) Next, you need to level it out! Using a sharp knife, level the top by placing the palm of your hand gently on top of the cake, and slicing off about 1/4" until level.
 
 
10.) Now dump a big glob of frosting on top of this layer, and spread it evenly on top. (It doesn't have to be pretty, but it DOES need to be fairly level.)
 

 
11.) Next, plop the top cake on the frosting. Make sure that it is even with the other- you don't want a lop-sided cake!
 
 
12.) **I used 2 different kinds of frosting for this cake. The purple frosting was the homemade frosting, but the green frosting was store bought. Now, you should dump a big glob of frosting on top of the cake.
 
 
 
13.) Spread the frosting evenly on the top and sides of the cake. Once this part is done, you are pretty much open to decorating however you want. Add a border, flowers, words, whatever you like!
 


 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment